- Contains everything required for practical examination for medical students (both undergraduates and postgraduates).
- Each of the chapter has been organized and described under the headings of case sheet format, diagnosis format, discussion on symptomatology, discussion on examination and summary of findings.
- Comprehensive collection of all aspects of practical examination: Long Cases, Short Cases and Semi-long Cases; ECGs and X-rays; Instruments and Spotters; and Laboratory data interpretation.
- Separate chapter on prerequisites for practical examination and common cases.
- Exclusive sections for case sheet format, diagnosis format and system-wise summary of findings.
- Annexures for last minute revision which include commonly asked definitions and grading systems with standard references.
- Chapters on comprehensive geriatric assessment and approach to psychiatric illnesses.
- All the clinical aspects have been thoroughly verified from standard textbooks and articles.
- All the clinical examination skills have been described in a simple language with relevant illustrations.
- For ease of understanding and revision, most of the points have been put in tabular format.
Author: Boloor Archith
Affiliation: Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Mangaluru, Karnataka, India
Author: Padakanti Anudeep
Affiliation: Kasturba Medical College, Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Mangaluru, Karnataka, India
Publishing Year: 2020
Book Type: Textbook
Chapter Name Pages Action
Chapter-01 Prerequisites for Practical Examination and Common Examination Cases 1-3
Chapter-02 General Examination 4-52
Chapter-03 Respiratory System Examination 53-92
Chapter-04 Cardiovascular System Examination 93-134
Chapter-05 Gastrointestinal System 135-179
Chapter-06 Nervous System 180-342
Chapter-07 Rheumatology 343-367
Chapter-08 Comprehensive Geriatric Assessment 368-375
Chapter-09 Approach to Psychiatric Illness 376-384
Chapter-10 Semilong Cases 385-392
Chapter-11 Simplified Approach to Ecg (Reading and Diagnosis) 393-412
Chapter-12 A Systematic Approach to Chest X-rays 413-438
Chapter-13 Basic Instruments in Viva 439-449
Chapter-14 Spotters 450-456
Chapter-15 Annexures 457-500
The objective of this insider's guide is to emphasize the importance of clinical medicine, recognizing it as both a science and an art. In an era dominated by technological advancements, the art of clinical examination risks being overshadowed. This book serves as a crucial initiative to reorient students to the fundamental principles of clinical medicine.
Comprising 15 chapters, the book covers essential aspects such as prerequisites for practical examinations, common examination cases, general examination techniques, and specific examinations for various organ systems including the respiratory, cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, and nervous systems. It also addresses topics like rheumatology, comprehensive geriatric assessment, psychiatric illness approach, semi-long cases, a simplified approach to ECG, systematic interpretation of chest X-rays, basic instruments, spotters, and annexures.
The content delves into common concepts vital for university clinical examinations, offering detailed discussions. The book's coverage is comprehensive, up-to-date, and presented in a clear manner. Diagnostic clues provided aim to expedite decision-making for students. Extensive and detailed discussions on X-rays, spotters, and instruments further enhance the practical understanding of the subject.
This book is highly recommended for students, educators, and practicing physicians, providing valuable insights and guidance within the medical field.